Monday, 08 June 2015 17:59

SMMEs benefit from jobs created at Cecilia Makiwane Hospital

Published by
Rate this item
(2 votes)

SMMEs benefit from jobs created at Cecilia Makiwane Hospital.

 

CeciliaMakiwaneHospital

More than one thousand jobs have been created and 29 emerging Small Micro Medium Enterprises (SMME) contractors have been employed to work on the largest medical infrastructure development project valued at R 935 421 300 millionby the Eastern Cape Department of Health (ECDoH).

The Coega Development Corporation (CDC) started construction in 2011and was appointed to ensure the completion of the Cecilia Makiwane Hospital project within budget, specification, and on time.
The Cecilia Makiwane Hospital in Mdantsane project has created 1215 jobs during the 2014/15 financial year.

The project also employed seven more experienced SMME contractors. Of these SMME, 75% are from the Mdantsane area and the remaining 25% from other parts of the Eastern Cape. Ernest Monyane, owner of WafaWafa Trading, is currently employing 12 staff members who are busy painting, scheming and plastering walls at the main hospital.

“Working at the hospital has opened other job opportunities for us. We started working in 2013, I employed about 22 people at the time, the others are now working on another construction site,” said Monyane. Asavela Singanga, the site manager for Mtha Construction, said they have worked on the hospital project since 2012.

“We employ 70 people to work on the main hospital. We have been sub contracted to do the plumbing, tiling, painting and roofing. I believe working on this project will open job opportunities for the company,” said Singanga. The construction is envisaged to come to an end later this year and will provide 530 beds.

“Medical care has always been aconcern for residents in the area. The new hospital is on track to be completed this year and will stand as a beacon of hope. It will boast world-class medical facilities,” said LungileNtshingana, CDC Department of Health programme manager.

He explained that extensive planning and collaboration with the professional team ensured that operational requirements would be met.The design and layout of the new 50 000 m² Cecilia Makiwane Hospital will feature an intricate two-floor configuration, and an additional single-floor configuration for mothers and their infants.

“The hospital features a number of courtyards. These will provide natural light, but also ensure patients have maximum contact with outdoor areas.Cutting-edge systems and technologies are being installed to establish and support the hospital’s IT and security systems,” he said.

The project is currently at phase 4C, the main hospital, and once this is complete construction will continue with phase 5, a 100 bed psychiatric hospital. “Plans for the psychiatric hospitalare nearing finality. Once these are completed and socioeconomic specification is done,we will be in a position to estimate how many jobs will be created,”said Ntshingana.

Other facilities already completedon the project includesite-works, construction of the service block,laundry,mortuary,workshops and stores,relocation of schools andearthworks and bulk services for the new main hospital.These were completed as Phases 1 to 4b.

“As an implementing agent across the Eastern Cape and other parts of South Africa, the CDC has delivered a number of world-class health, housing and education infrastructure projects for local and provincial governments,” said Dr Ayanda Vilakazi, CDC head of marketing and communications.

Some of the CDC’s medical infrastructure projects include East London’s Frere project (R124.9-million), the Frontier Hospital in Queenstown (R281-million), Dora Nginza Hospital in Port Elizabeth (R381-million, over three phases), and several tuberculosis hospitals within the province of the Eastern Cape.

“Cecilia Makiwane Hospital is an example of ourtrackrecord and expertise in developing mega and industrial infrastructure projects for foreign and local investors. As an implementing agent we assist government in providing quality, life-changing and life-saving services to the community through new infrastructure,” said Dr Vilakazi.

Last modified on Friday, 15 September 2017 12:49

My Account

2014
Murray & Roberts
Listed Construction Companies SA Construction News

Murray & Roberts

Murray & Roberts is South Africa’s leading engineering and construction services company. It has delivered infrastructure throughout South and Southern Africa for more than 110 years and is today recognised as an international engineering and construction…