Professor Paige-Green retired as Chief Researcher, CSIR-Built Environment in 2013, after 37 years. He is now a specialist consultant in geomaterials and roads with Paige-Green Consulting (Pty) Ltd. He has a BSc (Hons) from the University of Natal (1973), an MSc from the University of Natal (1975) and a PhD from the University of Pretoria (1989) - all in Engineering Geology.
Professor Paige-Green worked at the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) in Pretoria South Africa (and for 2 years in Muscat, Sultanate of Oman), since 1976 with projects or activities in 26 countries. He was mainly involved in research and implementation in the following fields:
- Road construction materials
- Chemical stabilisation of soils
- Evaluation and development of material test methods
- Design, construction and maintenance of unpaved and paved low volume roads
- Investigations and design of surface and underground mine roads
- Technical auditing of roads and forensic investigations of road failures
- Engineering geology including foundation, subgrade, slope stability and geotechnical problems associated with roads
Professor Paige-Green has authored or co-authored more than 125 refereed papers, 360 contract, research and unpublished internal reports and authored or contributed to various books, syntheses, manuals, guidelines and Standard Specifications.
He regularly lectures at various Universities (Professor Extraordinaire at Tshwane University of Technology) and technical courses, reviews papers for national and international conferences and journals and supervises/examines post-graduate theses. He is on the editorial board of 3 international journals.
He is a registered Professional Natural Scientist, member of various professional societies and a Fellow of the South African Institute for Engineering and Environmental Geologists (President elect) and the South African Geological Society.